Lloyd's Register in London

Lloyds-Register-in-London

Following our origin as a classification society in a London coffee house in 1760, the organisation grew, spreading around the world and into new business sectors. Its premises in London followed the varying fortunes of the organisation. 

In the late 19th century the society expressed its confidence through the development of a new head office at 71 Fenchurch Street, an impressive classical stone palazzo designed by Thomas Collcutt. 

At the end of the 20th century, Lloyd's Register had outstripped the jumble of office buildings by then attached to the Collcutt building. To replace them the organisation commissioned an exciting modern building designed by the renowned Richard Rogers Partnership (now Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners) and completed in 2000. 

When work began on the new building in December 1996, excavations revealed a Roman settlement. Take a look at the history of the site on Fenchurch Street.