– Chris Ridgewell, CTO, AW-Energy
Working with Lloyd’s Register and using the Technology Qualification process has brought so many benefits for our project and team; from setting clear metrics to measure and communicate the technology development process, to providing expertise with a depth and breadth of experience that´s difficult to procure.
Application: Renewable wave technology - WaveRoller™
Project Scope: Independent certification and technology qualification
"This novel technology is an emission-free, renewable source of energy and it has a low visual impact."
AW-Energy is a Finnish company in the wave energy sector and the developer of the world-leading WaveRoller™ wave energy converter.
The WaveRoller™ is a device that converts ocean waves to electricity. It is anchored to the seabed in the nearshore area in depths of between 8-20 meters and captures the movement of the waves with a hinged panel that runs a generator. The device is connected to the electrical grid on the shore.
The first grid-connected WaveRoller™ device is operating in Portugal.
Lloyd's Register is providing AWEnergy's WaveRoller™ with third-party certification and Technology Qualification.
This will help to optimise project financing and facilitate insurance coverage on a commercial basis, whilst ensuring the highest quality standards and technical excellence are met.
LR will review all stages of work carried out by the WaveRoller™ Team ensuring risks are identified and mitigated throughout the project's lifecycle.
Working with LR
On working with Lloyd's Register, AW-Energy CEO, John Liljelund commented, "I am thrilled to see the emergence of one of the prerequisites for WaveRoller's™ commercial roll out. The involvement of an institution like Lloyd's Register to this extent will ensure that the highest quality standards and technical excellence are met."
Benefits of Technology Qualification
- TQ sets clear milestones on the development path which breaks up each challenge into manageable chunks.
- It provides a clear metric to measure the technology development process.
- Forces the organisation to work in a structured way with documentation to match.
- Certification milestones can be celebrated within the team.
- Stakeholders get visibility on the progress via a dependable third party opinion.
- Third party opinion helps the technology improve.
- The risk based methodology helps to identify failure modes that could otherwise have remained undetected.
- A large technology oriented organisation like LR has a depth of experience that it is difficult to procure. The TQ process is an effective way to benefit from that knowledge and experience.