Client: Subsidiaries of HollyFrontier
Asset type: Petroleum refineries
- Cheyenne Refinery, Wyoming
- El Dorado Refinery, Kansas
- Navajo Refinery, New Mexico
- Tulsa Refinery, Oklahoma
- Woods Cross Refinery, Utah
HollyFrontier Corporation, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is an independent petroleum refiner and marketer that produces high value light products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and other specialty products.
Lloyd's Register has a strong 10 year relationship with subsidiaries of HollyFrontier, providing support for their Mechanical Integrity program with software, implementation and evergreening services, and corrosion studies. The client used LR's integrated risk-based inspection tool – RBMI – to reduce risk of inspection failures across five of its complex refineries.
The relationship began with the implementation of RBMI at the El Dorado Refinery. The program provided such benefit that HollyFrontier adopted the RBMI solution across their entire fleet and had LR implement the solution at the remaining sites, which include Cheyenne, Navajo, Wood Cross and Tulsa Refineries.
Safety is HollyFrontier's top priority, as is their commitment to continually enhancing the reliability of their equipment and operations across all sites. They required a solution and ongoing support to reduce risk of inspection failures, maximise inspection efforts and reduce "surprises" during turnarounds, and ultimately cost, across five of its complex refineries.
How Lloyd's Register helped
Lloyd's Register was selected based on our expertise in quality risk-based inspection and maintenance solutions that increase uptime efficiency and reduce frequency of inspections.
We helped to proactively detect and mitigate equipment integrity threats through the development of a more efficient and effective equipment maintenance and inspection system, resulting in on-time testing, reduced risk of equipment failure and chemical release, a safer environment for employees and the community.
We carried out technical reviews to support risk studies which included:
- Information capture for RBI analysis
- Corrosion studies which identified materials of construction and process conditions that can cause equipment deterioration
- Identification of damage mechanisms and critical process variable
- Previous equipment inspection summaries
We also examined equipment type and failure mechanisms to generate a recommended inspection plan. The software automatically tracks inspection due dates and provides notifications.
- Calculated deterioration rates for various deterioration mechanisms based upon industry experience in lieu of measured data.
- Performed what-if analysis to predict future risk.
- Assessed the probability and consequence of failure for each piece of equipment.
- Criticality calculator performed risk analysis for each type of equipment and component being evaluated, considering both the likelihood and consequence of failure.
- Prioritised inspection categories.
What is RBMI?
RBMI is a fully integrated risk-based inspection (RBI) software package for upstream, downstream and power industries. It can be applied to a wide spectrum of asset types including pressure vessels, piping, storage tanks, heat exchangers (including bundles), relief devices, pipelines, rotating and instrumentation.
The RBMI tool is API compliant and meets all API 580 recommended practice requirements for RBI including inspection data management. RBMI also meets the latest API Standards 510 and 570 requirements.
Our RBMI solution has since been preceded by Axxim™, a unique software solution that optimises the management of asset integrity and reliability, providing a single resource to identify critical assets, increase equipment reliability and uptime by at least 20%, reduce failure risk by 80%, and determine optimum approach to inspection and maintenance that can achieve costs savings of up to 50%.
- Prolong equipment life
- Lower life cycle costs
- Increased reliability and asset utilisation safely
- Reduction in equipment failures
- Reduced downtime
- Identification of critical assets
- Compliant inspection and maintenance program
- Optimised inspection and maintenance schedules
- Systematic approach to managing repairs and replacements
- Promote continuous improvement of the inspection program
- Focusing limited resources on critical equipment
- Cost savings by optimising inspection regimes.
- Fewer inspections points required by RBMI, compared to a traditional API time based program programme
- Reduction in failure risk
"At HollyFrontier, safety is our top priority, as is our commitment to continually enhancing the reliability of our equipment and operations across all of our sites. The implementation of RBMI at the Navajo Refinery marks our fifth refinery to begin implementing the RBMI solution. The final implementation project will be the west half of our Tulsa Refinery. RBMI has proven to be instrumental in helping to reduce the risk of unexpected equipment failures." Jim Stump, Senior Vice President, Refining.