Lloyd's Register’s Rules set appropriate standards for design, construction and inspection for offshore units, enabling these assets to be classed.
What assets do the rules cover?
The Rules for Offshore Units are applicable to units engaged in offshore operations including drilling, oil and gas production and storage, accommodation and other support functions and which generally operate within the territorial waters of a Coastal State Authority but excluding the ship types defined in of the Rules and regulations for the classification of ships (part 4).
- Column-stabilised semi-submersible floating production units (FPU)
- Self-elevating (jack-up) production units
- Jack up accommodation units
- Crude oil floating production, storage and offloading ship and barge type units (FPSO)
- Crude oil floating storage and offloading ship and barge type units
- Liquefied gas floating production and storage ship and barge type units (FLNG)
- Liquefied gas floating storage ship and barge type units
- Tension leg units
- Deep draught caisson units
- Column-stabilised semi-submersible units (mobile offshore drilling units, heavy life vessels, accommodation units and diving support vessels)
- Self-elevating (jack-up) mobile offshore drilling units
- Surface type units (drill ships, twin-hull heavy lift vessels)
- Wind turbine installation vessels
- Tender barges.
The updated rules were released in July 2016
The rules are made up of 11 parts:
- Part 1: Regulations;
- Part 2: Rules for materials;
- Part 3: Functional unit types and special features;
- Part 4: Steel unit structures;
- Part 5: Main and auxiliary machinery;
- Part 6: Control and electrical engineering;
- Part 7: Safety systems, hazardous areas and fire;
- Part 8: Corrosion control;
- Part 9: Concrete unit structures;
- Part 10: Ship units - floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) and floating storage and offloading (FSO);
- Part 11: Production, storage and offloading of liquefied gases.
You can download the rules PDF file, along with the notices that have been released, by filling in the form below.