The Introduction to drilling workshop provides an insight into today's drilling industry. The course explains why and how we drill wells and what drilling equipment is used for this purpose. The importance of well control equipment and the blowout preventer (BOP) is highlighted in detail. In addition, candidates learn the differences between various drilling rig types and how the choice of rig may change depending on the chosen drilling location.
Who should attend?
This introductory course is suitable for individuals who currently work for or who recently joined an organisation operating in the drilling industry. Anyone else who wishes to gain a better understanding of the drilling industry is also welcome to attend. No technical background is required for this course.
Aims of the course
At the end of the course, candidates will be able to:
- Explain the difference between exploration, appraisal and development wells
- Understand how a well is drilled and what equipment is used to do so
- Understand the dangers and risks involved when drilling a well
- Explain the importance of well control equipment and the BOP
- Describe the key differences between drilling rig types and how different rig types are used depending on the drilling location
Topics covered during the course include:
- Why do we need energy?
- A history of the oil field
- The process of drilling a well
- The dangers and risks involved in drilling
- An insight into drilling rig equipment:
- Well control equipment
- Mud pumps and mud systems
- Drawworks and lifting
- Top drives and rotation
- Support equipment
- The differences between rig types
- Special rig operations
- Final exam
This course is delivered through a one-day interactive classroom session and is structured to allow group participation and discussion. Videos and photographs are used throughout the course and a final exam is included.
Candidates who receive a score of 70% or higher on the final exam are awarded a certificate of completion.
This course is held over a one-day period.
Participants who have completed the Introduction to drilling workshop and would like to extend their knowledge further are encouraged to attend other Lloyd’s Register courses such as the Rig inspection workshop.
Please contact us for additional opportunities and training aimed at your personal career development.