In today’s maritime industry there is an ever increasing breadth of subject areas about which Superintendents must not only be aware but must have an understanding, so that reasoned decisions can be made quickly. Lloyd’s Register’s Superintendent training programme provides a solid foundation for developing experience for Superintendents.
The modular format of the Superintendent training programme is a blend of e-learning and classroom modules, allowing freedom and flexibility of choice of when and where to undertake the learning.
The e-learning, in the form of electronic magazines, can be completed anywhere and at any time and the prestigious classroom-based modules have the added benefit of face-to-face contact with experienced Lloyd’s Register trainers and other learners.
The electronic magazines blend together audio visual material, coursework, reading and exercises in an easily absorbed style. You will view videos and listen to audio from Lloyd’s Register’s top experts and experienced ex-superintendents, in a wide range of topics including making the transition from a ship-based role to a shore-based role, STCW, health and safety, emergency planning, and others.
The subjects and scope of the programme are decided by the learner. With the e-magazines at its core, you then select between five and twelve additional classroom modules, dependent on your individual learning needs.
Superintendent Training core elements: (e-magazines)
- Basic ship management
- Crewing and resourcing
- Commercial and chartering parties
- Emergency planning and contingencies
- People skills and communication
(the e-learning modules are not compatible with Apple devices, i.e. IPad, Mac etc.)
Superintendent Training classroom modules: (minimum of five)
- Classification and Statutory Surveys
- Machinery Damage and Repair
- Hull Inspection, Damage and Repair
- Risk Management and Incident Investigation
- Materials, Welding and NDE
- Practical Approach to Port State Control
- Essential Dry Docking
- ISM Internal Auditor
- ISM and the Lead Auditor
- ISM and ISPS Internal Auditor
- ISM and the Designated Person Ashore (DPA)
- ISPS SSO/CSO
- ILO Maritime Labour Convention (2006) 2 day and 3 day course
- Liquefied Natural Gas Ships
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas Ships
- LNG as Fuel
- Introduction to Bulk Carriers
- A Practical Approach to Ship Surveys
- Shaft Alignment
- Online Corrosion Protection
- Electrical and Control
- Ship New Construction
- Ballast Water Management Awareness
- Proactive Approach to Ship Energy and Maintenance Management
- Principles of Ship Energy Management
Completion of the Superintendent Training Core element e-magazines plus:
Five of the classroom modules will lead to a Superintendent Programme 'Bronze' certificate
Eight of the classroom modules will lead to a Superintendent Programme 'Silver' certificate
Ten of the classroom modules will lead to a Superintendent Programme 'Gold' certificate
Twelve of the classroom modules will lead to a Superintendent Programme 'Platinum' certificate.