Nuclear projects and assets are subject to regulatory control based on a licensing process, and we have an excellent record of helping clients operating within this environment. Our solutions include deep understanding of your licensing basis and of the regulatory requirements that you have to meet. We provide detailed risk consulting in the areas of licensing and safety assessment, both probabilistic and deterministic; we develop advanced software tools for risk and safety analysis as well as for emergency preparedness; and we can help you to resolve specific business issues, utilising Lloyd’s Register’s expertise and experience from different industries operating in a safety critical environment.
What we offer
We offer a full suite of nuclear safety assessment & licensing services. This includes development of analysis methodologies as well as performing the actual analyses. The following areas are covered:
Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA) – Level 1, 2 and 3, including:
- All types of initiating events (faults) and operating modes (from power operation to refuelling outage) during the complete life cycle (from design to decommissioning). Different types of nuclear facilities, e.g. power plants, spent fuel pools and fuel storage facilities, as well as other types of nuclear facilities.
- Living PSA fit-for-use in any application
- Risk-informed decision making and PSA applications
- PSA training courses
Deterministic Safety Analysis (DSA) including:
- Thermal hydraulics analyses, e.g. containment and building loads, system performance, core cooling analysis
- Radiation shielding, protection and monitoring analyses
- Load specifications and combinations for structural verification
- Criticality analyses
- Identification, screening and classification of internal and external events, and of initiating events
- Fire simulation analyses
- Flooding analyses (sources, pathways, structural impact)
Safety and Licensing including:
- Understanding of and review of international and national rules and regulations (Regulatory Guidelines)
- Authoring and reviewing Safety Analysis Reports (Safety Cases) and Technical Specifications
- Supporting development of Emergency Operating Procedures (EOPs) and Severe Accident Management Guidelines (SAMGs)
What are the benefits?
LR’s nuclear safety & licensing services enables you to:
- Receive and maintain a licence to operate
- Ensure that you have an optimised performance in your safety critical environment, e.g. by making full use of a realistic probabilistic safety assessment, in compliance with the deterministic design basis
- Be risk-informed in your decision making
- Have a holistic and detailed understanding of the risks related to your operation – which is crucial in your dialogue with internal and external stakeholders, and in achieving public acceptance
Why choose LR?
- Our extensive safety, licensing and regulatory expertise supports facility owners, operators, vendors and national regulators worldwide
- Our teams have deep experience in providing specialist techniques, such as probabilistic safety assessments, root-cause analyses, reliability-centred maintenance, plant-improvement solutions and operational experience feedback
- Our knowledge of legal requirements, and of current and next-generation systems, means that we can advise you on whichever technology you operate or are considering using
- Our capability to deliver probabilistic and deterministic risk and safety analysis is unrivalled in the market place
- Our engineering disciplines are supported by software developers, human factors assessments and other valuable analytical and scientific skills
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Towards tomorrow's low-carbon economy
Lloyd's Register's report for the Oil and Gas Authority explores upstream opportunities in UK waters to cut greenhouse gas emissions.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.
Join us at these forthcoming events
4 May 20
Offshore Technology Conference.