A Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) can be used to identify and fix potential issues at an early stage and is an effective way to take a ‘privacy by design’ approach. DPIAs are already seen as good practice and the GDPR takes them a step further by making them mandatory in the following circumstances:
- When using new technology
- For data processing that presents a high risk to individuals’ rights and freedoms, such as systematic profiling
- Large scale processing of special categories of personal data relating to criminal convictions
- Large scale, systematic monitoring of public areas – notably CCTV
How can LR help?
Lloyd’s Register can carry out a DPIA on your behalf as well as provide DPIA training that gives practical guidance on how to conduct DPIA’s within your organisation.
Our one-day, in-house workshop will help you to understand:
- What a DPIA is and when one should be carried out
- Your national regulators’ recommendations and guidance
- The stages of a DPIA and what to do in practice
- The relationship between conducting DPIA’s with other risk and project management activities, such as other risk assessments or data protection audits
- What legal and compliance issues you will need to consider within your organisation.
If you would like an impartial organisation to conduct a DPIA on your behalf, Lloyd’s Register can help. Your DPIA will be carried out by one of Lloyd's Register’s risk management specialists who have an in-depth knowledge of the GDPR requirements and the risk management methodologies relevant to data protection. You can also use this as an opportunity to mentor internal staff.
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Advancing energy integration for the OGA
Lloyd's Register's report for the Oil and Gas Authority explores upstream opportunities in UK waters to cut greenhouse gas emissions.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.
Join us at these forthcoming events
20 Feb 20
The Hague, Netherlands
27 Feb 20
SOFHT - Building an Allergen Safe Culture.
18 Mar 20
Sedex Conference Europe 2020