The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is the leading internationally accepted construction code for defining the requirements for the design, manufacture, inspection, testing and certification of many types of boilers, pressure vessels and nuclear power plant parts.
In last few years, it is observed that use of finite element analysis for design of pressure vessels and it’s components is increasing. Finite element analysis (FEA) is used, to supplement or justify the design of an ASME Section VIII, Division 1 or 2.
It is therefore important for all of us to understand the basics of this method to follow appropriate design by analysis methodologies and to present the results in correct manner.
This two and half hour’s virtual course is designed to train individuals who are interested in seeking a better understanding of basic finite element analysis requirements of Part 5 of ASME Section VIII Div 2.
By attending, participants will be better positioned to help their organizations to meet the requirements of the design by analysis Part 5 of ASME Section VIII Division 2 for design of pressure vessels.
Who should attend
- Owners / EPC personnel involved in design activities of ASME pressure vessels and heat exchangers.
- Designers with experience or with basic knowledge involved in the design of ASME pressure vessels.
- Personnel responsible for review of finite element analysis reports.
You will learn
By the end of this workshop, the participants will understand the following and contribute to improving code compliance by your organization.
- General awareness of FEA and it’s common applications.
- Understanding the basics – stress and strain and it’s relation to code terminology such as equivalent stress, primary, secondary stress.
- Identifying failure Modes and introduction to the corresponding assessment procedures.
- Protection against plastic collapse and elastic stress analysis.
- Steps involved in elastic stress analysis in accordance with code.
- Stress categorization.
- Content a good FEA report.
Delegates will receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course and course documentation
2 hrs from 10.00 AM - 12.00 PM
B.E. (Mechanical Engineering), DBM
MIE, CEng ,PE (India), IntPE(India)
Mr. Ameya Mathkar received his B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, from Mumbai University in 2000.
He has been working with Lloyds Register since 2008 and has total work experience of 20 years in pressure vessel industry. He is a senior specialist at Mumbai Plan Appraisal office and is Involved in design appraisal of pressure vessels, storage tanks, PVHO Vessels to various international codes. He is also involved in Global conformity of piping assemblies as per Pressure Equipment Directive and Involved in design appraisal of offshore containers.
Mr Ameya is professionally qualified as
- Member of Institution of Engineers (India)
- Chartered Engineer - Institution of Engineers (India)
- International Professional Engineer (India)
- Competent Person - CCOE, India
Mr Mathkar has experience in design of pressure vessels using finite element analysis and in piping flexibility analysis. He has Authority of Professional Engineer for ASME Sec VIII Div.2 certification.
Mr Mathkar has co-authored various technical papers published for ASME PVP Conference.
Training from LR
With Lloyd's Register, you can learn in the way that works for you. We offer courses in a range of styles, from in-house to virtual classroom. Find out more about Ascend Training Courses from Lloyd's Register.
Virtual classroom training courses delivered by one of our expert trainers.