LR's IRIS service consists of a family of web applications that efficiently deliver relevant data and information in support of marine projects and operations in the offshore energy sectors. Typical IRIS projects include drilling rig seabed site surveys and positioning, pipeline inspections, submarine cable installations and offshore wind farm developments.
At its heart, IRIS has a state-of-the-art web mapping platform combined with marine-focused global, regional and local data layers upon which IRIS projects are created. A range of project information can be accessed and presented in or on the web map, from vessel tracks and metocean observations to project performance dashboards and real-time data streamed from an offshore drilling rig or subsea trencher.
The IRIS platform
The IRIS base platform delivers a comprehensive range of geodetic frameworks, base mapping and reference data. This provides positioning reliability together with optimal context and visibility of the status or progress of an offshore project.
Lloyd’s Register’s VesMet web application allows qualitative assessment of metocean conditions experienced throughout a voyage, by intersecting actual or planned vessel tracks with an extensive database of global hind-cast metocean data.
Lloyd’s Register’s PosMet web application is designed to provide efficient access to now-cast, hind-cast and forecast metocean data and information for any offshore location globally.
To find out more about our solutions, download the full information sheets on the download tab above.
IRIS mapping layers include:
- Global and regional resolution bathymetry, regional shallow soils, hydrographic charts and satellite imagery.
- LR's Global Reference Basemap is derived from over 600 data sources, including offshore oil and gas facilities, aggregate areas, wrecks, offshore wind farms and submarine cables. The Basemap is updated weekly, auto-styled and served as tiles on multiple scales.
- Associated mapping tools to measure distances and areas and estimate passage schedules.
Use additional modules to add functionality to the IRIS platform. Modules have been developed based upon our clients' requirements and our demonstrated capabilities in data delivery and presentation. This experience and the flexibility IRIS affords means we can quickly design and implement new data sources and feeds or customise modules to precisely fit your project.
Marine Coordination and Vessel Tracking
Track and coordinate offshore vessel movements in real time using the IRIS Vessel Positioning module.
- Receive and display real-time vessel positions from a wide range of in-house and third party services and systems.
- Query vessel locations to identify vessel name, MMSI, speed and heading.
- Replay vessel positions within user specified time periods.
- Automatically generate vessel traffic density data layers.
- Initiate geo-fencing to alert users by email to vessel or rig incursions or excursions.
Data Telemetry and Digital Data Services
Accessing real-time data from an offshore location allows for immediate assessment of an asset's performance, allowing project managers and clients to consider the need for intervention and to make rapid and effective decisions.
The IRIS service can be used as part of a Condition Monitoring solution where near real-time analysis of the data allows operating parameters to be optimised and fed back to the system operators onboard.
- We use the philosophy of the Internet of Things to internet-enable sensors on vessels, drilling rigs and subsea vehicles.
- Sensor data is streamed to our secure cloud database using the host's VSAT system or by Iridium, radio or 4G GSM.
- LR can install its plug-and-play V-NODE data hub onboard a vessel which interfaces to onboard sensors, records all data locally and telemeters all or sub-sampled data in real time to the database.
- The IRIS web map may be configured to incorporate sensor-specific dashboards that present the as-received data including trend indicators.
- LR provides standalone IRIS web applications to access the data from the database and to review it as time series plots, test against thresholds and to produce statistical reports. An example web application is called TrenchingQC, which our Cable Trenching Clients use to review and assess over 40 trenching related parameters received every few seconds.
Metocean and Marine Forecast Data
Historical, current and forecast metocean data is crucial information that has significant influence on the schedule, cost and performance of any offshore marine project. IRIS provides access to a wealth of metocean data using industry recognised global metocean models and live observations from offshore locations.
- For project-specific locations, we can add tidal heights and tidal current speed and direction forecasts, displayed as time series plots.
- Where professional third-party marine weather forecasters are provided by a third party, IRIS can be configured to automatically consume the forecast data for recording and instant graphical display.
- The IRIS global metocean database grows in size daily, allowing users to predict metocean conditions at their site based upon years of model, observation and forecast data.
- IRIS applications can intersect a vessel passage with local short range metocean model data allowing assessment of conditions that a vessel actually experienced.
- Similarly, forecast models and planned voyage tracks can be combined to predict metocean conditions, which may assist decisions such as the extent of container lashing.
HSEQ and Operational Performance Monitoring
IRIS can provide clear visibility of the status and progress of an offshore project using intuitive dashboards and colour coding of geospatial data such as survey run lines, pipeline locations or planned cable installation positions.
Using pre-configured spreadsheet templates, IRIS typically receives twice-daily updates from an offshore vessels or drilling rig. Without further user intervention, data is automatically checked and loaded to the database, allowing immediate visualisation and reporting. Authorised IRIS users may:
- Review and assess the operational performance of the vessel since mobilisation.
- Compare the operational performance against expected vessel weather limits and actual conditions experienced.
- Monitor daily and accumulated Health and Safety parameters and statistics.
- Predict time and cost to project completion based upon user selected standby estimates and models.
Over time, IRIS accumulates a significant and invaluable database of contractor and vessel operational and HSEQ performance and within a range of locations and conditions. This helps our clients optimally assess tendered assets for a project.
Cloud Data Management
IRIS provides secure, searchable and infinitely scalable project data storage within an industry-standard cloud environment. Maintaining and daily accreting data creates a significant and valuable store of data which authorised users can mine and harvest.
With robust systems and procedures that ensure total security, only the data owners can access project-specific data and client-related performance parameters.
The IRIS web-map's File Explorer component stores and shares project data such as Daily Progress Reports (DPRs), PDF documents, drawings, images and video clips. Data with a geospatial aspect also has a zoom-to capability such that the web-map automatically centres on the feature.
IRIS is ideal for independently storing project data that is not readily stored within a Document Management System. The data is always readily available and intuitively findable.
- Offshore site and route survey data, reports and deliverables.
- Survey charts and reports.
- Multibeam bathymetry and sidescan sonar mosaics.
- Pipeline inspection data including video and events.
- Offshore wind farm CAD design drawings.
- Cable lay depth of burial data.
The IRIS family of related web applications is continuously evolving as our client's requirements for accessing and analysing data rapidly grows. We have implemented a fully documented Application Programming Interface (API) across our database that allows us to quickly develop and deliver focused applications that exactly match your requirements. Please contact us to find out more.