What is it?
This joint industry project with TWI aims to examine methods for joining AM produced parts and to examine the influence of the AM materials and processing on the integrity and performance of the joints, and ultimately “fill in the gaps” to allow structures which include joints in AM materials to be designed, manufactured and applied into service with confidence.
What are the objectives?
- Design and manufacture standardised representative AM samples, for use in subsequent joining trials, in materials relevant to the requirements of the sponsor group;
- Make joints in AM material using the methods selected by the sponsor group, identify suitable processing methods and parameters;
- Assess the performance of non-destructive testing methods on joints containing AM materials.
- Perform testing to assess the properties of the joints and the efficacy of using standardised tests on AM material
What are the benefits to sponsors?
- Performance data to support the selection of joining processes and methods for structures containing AM material relevant to their potential applications;
- Detailed knowledge of the properties of joints containing AM material relevant to their potential applications and service environments;
- Quantitative data supporting the applicability and acceptability of standard mechanical and non-destructive test methods to joints containing AM material;
- Sufficient information and knowledge to be able to plan, design, test, gain certification and/or approval and use in production structures containing AM and joints containing AM material
To find out more about the JIP, please fill in the form below to download our project outline. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming a sponsor company, or for any other information.