The UK legislation establishing the new UK MRV regime (SI 2018/1388) is now in place and can be accessed here.
On the 17 September 2021 the UK Government released its guidance on the application of the UK scheme for monitoring, reporting and verifying (MRV) carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions as Marine Information Note 669. Please click here for more information.
The type of vessels within scope of the UK MRV regime and type of emissions data for collection are the same as those under the EU MRV regime.
The only emissions data required to be reported under the UK MRV regime are for the following voyages:
- Voyages between two UK ports
- Voyages between a UK and non-EEA port
- Emissions generated within a UK port
- Voyages between a port in the UK and a port in one of the UK Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies
What we offer
- Assessment of conformity of every ship Monitoring Plan against the requirements defined in the UK MRV regime. The outcome of our assessment will be presented in a Monitoring Conformity Assessment Report.
- Verification of the Annual Emissions Report to verify the data and supporting information in the Emissions Report against the requirements defined in the UK MRV regime. Once the verification is successfully completed the final Verification Report and Document of Compliance will be available to your company.
End of 2021
An assessed UK MRV monitoring plan needs to be in place on ships by the end of 2021. Ship owners should submit their UK MRV monitoring plans to LR for assessment as soon as possible.
From 1 January 2022
Ship operators must submit a monitoring plan to the verifier for newly acquired vessels, no later than two months after the ship’s first call to a UK port. For the UK regime, we expect ship operators to comply with this obligation from 1 January 2022.
Ship operators are expected to use the next few months to prepare their systems and procedures to begin collecting emissions data for the 2022 reporting period. No emissions data is expected to be collected or reported for the 2021 reporting year.
According to MIN 669 (M+F) Reporting Emissions Data into the UK MRV Regime & The Merchant Shipping (Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of Carbon Dioxide Emissions)(Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2018 (UK Statutory Instrument 1388/2018 verifiers which are accredited for the EU MRV regime by a European National Accreditation Body, will be temporarily accepted as verifiers under the UK MRV regime until the end of 2022, as part of the preparations for the establishment of the UK MRV regime.
LR is accredited by the Hellenic Accreditation System (E.S.Y.D) and this accreditation will remain valid under the UK MRV Scheme until the end of 2022.
From 1 January 2023, all verifiers must be accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) for the provision of UK MRV verification work hence LR has already initiated the process to apply for UKAS Accreditation.