What is it?
Tank containers often carry dangerous gases and liquids, so several codes and regulations apply to their design and use around the world.
Some types of tank containers include:
- Road tanks
- Swaps and swap tanks
- Offshore tanks
- Modified and refurbished tank containers
They come under different regulations around the world, including:
- ADR – for transportation by road
- RID – for transportation by rail
- IMDG – for transportation by sea
- EN283/4 – for swap tank container framework
- USDoT (49 CFR) – for transport by road and rail in the US
- CSS and ISO 1496 – for tank container framework
- Pressure vessel design codes (EU Pressure Equipment Directive, ASME)
- TC Impact Approved – testing for use on Canadian railroads
- UIC – registration for use on European railways
What we do.
Lloyd's Register's commitment to making the world safer has given us many years of experience in the inspection and certification of tank containers.
Services we offer for tank containers:
- Design reviews
- Owner acceptance
- Technical advice
Added-value services include:
- Document management
- Inspector training (CSC)
- Web-based certification access
When we inspect and certify tank containers, we use the Lloyd’s Register Container Certification Scheme (LRCCS), which provides an easy, cost-effective method that makes sure your containers meet all applicable standards and regulations.