There are two key drivers behind the new Pressure Equipment Directive:
- The current basis for the determination of fluid group (1 or 2) in PED Article 9 (i.e. Directive 67/548/EEC) has been replaced by a new Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulation [EC 1272/2008].
- The “New Legal Framework". This is a larger initiative by the European Union to bring nine EU “New Approach” Directives into alignment with the “New Legal Framework” (NLF), which was adopted in 2008 and aims to streamline and simplify the rules for putting pressure equipment on the market in the face of increasing competition from fraudulently certified equipment.
It is important to note that the changes are classified as an ‘alignment’ with the “New Legal Framework”, because it means there is no change in:
- The scope of the new Pressure Equipment Directive.
- Hazard Category Charts / Tables.
While there are no substantive changes to the essential safety requirements either, there is a change to the way that a manufacturer analyses and records the hazards and risks in order to identify those which apply to his equipment on account of pressure.
According to the new Pressure Equipment Directive, all existing approvals will remain valid. Article 48 states, “Certificates and decisions issued by Conformity Assessment Bodies (Notified Bodies) under Directive 97/23/EC shall be valid under this Directive.”
What we offer
Manufacturers may choose self-certification, third-party examination, or third-party inspection and quality management system certification. Annex II of the PED establishes the risk category for your pressure equipment. Lower risk equipment only is permissible for self-certification, with the majority of pressure equipment requiring certification by a notified body. LR is one such notified body. We are able to cover all aspects of PED conformity, including:
- Product inspection
- Testing and certification
- Material approval
- Design examination
- Type examination
- Quality system approval
- Joining personnel and procedures approval.
What are the benefits?
PED certification is not only a mandatory step to accomplish, but also brings considerable benefits to your business by establishing you as a reputable, transparent manufacturer.
The more solid your reputation within the industry, the better your ability to penetrate new markets and meet customer demand.
Why choose LR?
Our expert assessment teams take a collaborative approach that understands the importance of a fast, efficient appraisal with minimal disruption to your business. Using an industry-leading methodology, our design appraisal engineers, inspection personnel and quality system auditors can help you prepare for certification, perform equipment reviews, and provide training for your staff and stakeholders on PED and its associated directives.
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Adding flexibility through remote inspection.
Read how our remote inspection saves one client more than 50% in inspection cost.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.
Join us at these forthcoming events
5 Mar 19
Security & Policing 2019
Farnborough, United Kingdom