By the end of this course you will:
Know where to find the classification and statutory requirements for machinery and to be able to confidently discuss repair options with the attending surveyors
Determine the technical and commercial aspects of machinery repairs
Have knowledge of the repair techniques used for specific common machinery damage and defects.
This course looks at specific case studies of common machinery defects, the recognised ‘best practice’ industry accepted repairs and also considers the commercial implications of technical decisions made.
Module 1 - Machinery Damage and Repair Workshop-Diesel Engines, Turbochargers and Steam Raising Plant and Associated Pressure Vessels
- Crankshaft damage “cam effect” on bearings
- Boiler damage due to water shortage
- Connecting rod failure
- Boiler water treatment and pitting
- Re-tubing of super heaters on main boilers
- Turbo-charger - nozzle ring fractures
Module 2 - Machinery Damage and Repair Workshop- Shaft Alignment, Gearbox, Shafting, Rudder, Controllable Pitch Propeller
- Intermediate shaft failure
- Shaft alignment and gearbox tolerances
- Rudder slip on rudder stock
- Sterntube bearing damage
- Coupling bolt/flange damage
- CPP failure
Module 3 - Machinery Damage and Repair Workshop- Pumping and Piping, Thrusters and Podded Propulsors, Engine Bearings
- Main bearing damage
- AquaMaster damage
- Podded drive unit bearing damage
- High pressure diesel oil fire
- Ship side valves and connections
- Oily water separator pollution
Please note that the three modules do not need to be run concurrently and you can liaise with your local Lloyd's Register Marine Training office for a timetable of scheduled events.
Delegates will receive a Lloyd's Register certificate upon successful completion of each module.
Subscribe to our training newsletter to receive details of courses and seminars near you
This three part course is aimed at superintendents, flag and port state surveyors and other marine engineers with a responsibility for ships’ machinery.
18 May - 20 May 2021
- £1395 excluding tax
Virtual Learning Training List
29 Mar - 1 Apr 2021
Virtual classroom 29/31 Mar 01 Apr - GMT/UK
- £1395 excluding tax