Odebrecht Oil & Gas, Brazil
Offshore drilling and production
Newly trained workforce for operational expansion
For over 35 years, Odebrecht Group has led the pace of development in Brazil’s oil and gas sector. In 1979, through Odebrecht Perfurações Ltda, it became the first private Brazilian company to offer offshore well drilling services to Petrobras. The company was also a pioneer in the operation of a semi-submersible rig at a water depth of 1,000m.
As part of the group, Odebrecht Oil & Gas strives to innovate and serve its customers in Brazil and abroad with progressive solutions. Our client does this by adding value to its business with new areas of expertise and by offering complete solutions to the upstream oil industry. When the company decided it was ready to embrace new challenges in deepwaters, including pre-salt geographical formations, it realised the need for new, specialised expertise. With a general lack of experienced oil field workers in Brazil, Odebrecht started a programme, Projeto Embarcar, to train and develop new specialists. Developing professionals with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in the oil field would supply Odebrecht with a sufficient workforce for its offshore operations for years to come.
How we helped
To maintain growth in deepwater drilling and production, Odebrecht needed to develop offshore professionals skilled in electrical, mechanical and subsea disciplines. The company asked us for help. Following a skills’ audit, we proposed running the following training:
- rig mechanical and advanced rig mechanical programmes
- rig electrical and advanced rig electrical programmes
- rig inspection workshop
- floating rigs and subsea engineer programme.
For this training, we used three of our experts in mechanical, electrical and subsea disciplines.
- Kick-off meeting to understand our client’s requirements.
- Office-based information gathering and analysis.
- Course scheduling with trainers to meet our client’s business needs.
- Rig electrical programme, comprising five modules.
- Rig mechanical programme, comprising five modules.
- Subsea engineer programme, comprising four modules.
- Results compilation and analysis.
- Reporting and close-out discussions.
Course formats were tailored to our client’s specific needs, with the entire project taking just 14 months.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.