Statutory alert: Amendment of reference line of the required EEDI for ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships from phase 2.
10 August 2018
Applicability: Shipowners, builders and designers
The IMO has adopted the amendments to Regulation 21, Chapter 4 of MARPOL Annex VI** regarding the Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) requirements for ro-ro cargo and ro-ro passenger ships. The amendments concerning the new parameters from phase 2 increase the reference line by 20% and introduce a DWT threshold value for larger ro-ro cargo ships of 17,000 DWT and ro-pax of 10,000 DWT.
In Table 2 (‘Parameters for determination of reference values for the different ship types’), paragraph 3, rows 2.34 and 2.35 for ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships are replaced by the following:
* to be used from phase 2 and thereafter.
The amendments will enter into force on 1 September 2019 and will apply for phase 2 and onwards, i.e.
- the building contract is placed on or after 1 January 2020; or
- the building contract is placed before 1 January 2020, and the delivery is on or after 1 January 2024; or
in the absence of a building contract,
- the keel is laid, or the ship is at a similar stage of construction, on or after 1 July 2020; or
- the keel is laid, or the ship is at a similar stage of construction, before 1 July 2020, and the delivery is on or after 1 January 2024.
The IMO encourages early application of the aforesaid amendments to ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships (as soon as possible), prior to entry into force, with the agreement of the flag administration.
**The amendments to MARPOL Annex VI, Chapter 4 are detailed in Resolution MEPC.301(72).
Advice to ship owners
Owners wishing to apply the revised reference lines to the newbuild ro-ro cargo ships and ro-pax in phase 1, prior to entry into force, should check whether the flag administration permits the early implementation.
For further information
Speak to one of our experts at your local Lloyd's Register Group office or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to subscribe to Class News to receive it direct to your inbox