Requests to deal with certain survey requirements without Surveyor attendance on board.
08 October 2018
Applicability: All ship types
On occasions, it may be necessary or appropriate for Lloyd’s Register (LR) to deal with certain survey requests without the attendance of an LR Surveyor on board the vessel. To assist you, LR now provides the below guidance to clarify current practice and to introduce new practices that allow and encourage the use of modern communication tools and technology, such as a live video feed.
Reasons for dealing with a survey request without attendance could be:
- The vessel is at sea when damage is sustained
- The vessel is at a port, terminal or location where the services of an LR Surveyor are not available
- The location is remote and no other surveys are due
- A minor statutory finding relates to the verification of documentation or the replacement of spare parts
- A Condition of Class (COC) relates to the verification of documentation or the replacement of spare parts
- The outstanding documentation can be readily verified using electronic communication.
The circumstances under which consideration may be given by LR to deal with a survey item without attendance are as follows:
- Where new damage is sustained but it is not possible for a Surveyor to attend on board in the vessel’s current location
- Deletion or revision of a COC of a minor nature
- Deletion/revision of a minor statutory finding
- Provision/update of documentation.
For further information contact your local office
Click here to subscribe to Class News to receive it direct to your inbox