Escape Routes and Safety Equipment Location Markings Requirements.
06 November 2018
Applicability: All ships constructed on or after 01 January 2019, and which undergo repairs, alterations, modifications and outfitting within the scope of SOLAS Chapters II-2 and/or III as applicable, on or after 01 January 2019.
IMO Resolution A.1116(30) Escape Route Signs and Equipment Location Markings will enter into force on the 1st January 2019*.
The resolution includes, in Tables 1 and 2, updated signs and graphical symbols that should be used to mark the location of:
- means of escape (Table 1, MES);
- life-saving systems (Table 1, LSS); and
- mandatory action signs for launching lifesaving equipment (Table 2);
These are required to comply with the mandatory requirements of SOLAS regs. II-2/13.7 (ro-ro passenger ship escape routes), III/9 (LSA operating instructions) and III/11 (survival craft muster and embarkation arrangements) and III/20.10 (marking of LSA stowage locations).
The Resolution also includes non-mandatory signs for:
– emergency equipment signs which provide use and location of first aid facilities and portable safety equipment (Table 1, EES);
– fire-fighting equipment signs which provide use and location of fire-fighting equipment (Table 1, FES);
– prohibition signs which provide prohibited actions (Table 1, PSS);
– hazard warning signs which provide identification of hazards to avoid (Table 1, WSS) and
– mandatory action signs which provide mandatory notices and instructions (Table 1, MSS).
Although there are no mandatory SOLAS requirements for ships to provide these signs, some Flag Administrations, Port State Control inspectors, and other vetting bodies may require them.
The Resolution also contains, in Table 3, symbols that should be used in conjunction with IMO Resolution A.952(23) when preparing the shipboard fire control plans required by SOLAS regulation II-2/15.2.4. With the exception of the symbols for 'Safety Plan' and 'Fire and Safety Plan', the symbols are the same as those already contained in IMO Resolution A.952(23).
*All ships constructed (keel lay date) on or after 1 January 2019, and existing ships which undergo repairs, alterations, modifications and outfitting within the scope of SOLAS Chapters II-2 and/or III as applicable, on or after 1 January 2019, will need to ensure that they are compliant with the signs listed in Tables 1, 2 and 3 in the Annex to Res. A.1116(30).
For further information contact email@example.com
Click here to subscribe to Class News to receive it direct to your inbox