Archive of Class News, showing classification and statutory alerts and bulletins.
You can view the archive Class News from the links below. For any documents prior to 2016, please contact us.
05/2023: Deadline approaching for annual submission of vessels' emissions data and UK MRV update
04/2023: Dutch Safety Board Safety Notice Issued for ‘Pirolec L-35’ Rocket Parachute Flare
03/2023: Risk of refusal of entry to New Zealand and Australian Ports due to Biofouling Regulations
02/2023: Update to Lloyd’s Register’s Rules for marine forgings and castings
01/2023: Amendments (06-21) to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code
Class News 18/2022: MARPOL ANNEX VI and the use of Marine Biofuels
Class News 17/2022: Special Survey - New requirements for Chemical and Double Hull Oil Tankers
Class News 16/2022: IMO DCS & EU, UK MRV submissions for reporting year 2022
Class News 15/2022: The requirements for using exhaust gas cleaning systems in Australian waters.
Class News 14/2022: Classification Alert: Mooring (Revised SOLAS II-1,3-8 and related MSC Circulars)
Class News 13/2022: Focus on planned maintenance at Port State Control inspections
Class News 12/2022: Liberia Flag - Electronic Nautical Publications (ENPs)
Class News 11/2022: MARPOL Annex VI – SEEMP Part III and Carbon Intensity Indicator (CII)
Class News 10/2022: Shanghai MSA announced new controls to reduce ship’s machinery failure
Class News 09/2022:IMO DCS & EU MRV Verification – Bunker Delivery Note Issues.
Class News 08/2022: Commissioning Testing of Ballast Water Management Systems.
Class News 07/2022: Risk of microbial attack upon certain ship's tanks after prolonged periods of reduced operational status.
Class News 06/2022: Revised Performance Standard for EPIRBs and VDRs.
Class News 05/2022: Deadline approaching for IMO DCS & EU MRV Annual Verification Submissions for reporting year 2021.
Class News 04/2022: Prohibition of Cybutryne in Anti-Fouling Coating Systems.
Class News 03/2022: The escalating situation in Ukraine.
Class News 02/2022: MARPOL Annex VI – Fuel Oil Sampling Points.
Class News 01/2022: Temporary investigation process during COVID-19 Pandemic, after machinery failure in Shanghai’s territory.
20/2021: IMO DCS & EU MRV submissions for reporting year 2021.
19/2021: Classification Alert: Mooring, Ship Design MBL and Direct Mooring Analysis (IACS Rec 10).
18/2021: Classification Alert: Consideration for funnels in the Equipment Number (IACS UR A1).
17/2021: New Lloyd’s Register Rules for HY100 grade (submarine) steel.
16/2021: The United Kingdom scheme for Monitoring, Reporting and Verifying carbon dioxide emissions from ships.
15/2021: New and improved Port State Control checklist mobile app.
14/2021: Loading containers onto bulk carriers.
13/2021: Amendments to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue (IAMSAR) Manual.
12/2021: COVID-19 Port Entry Restrictions in China.
11/2021: Safety Notice for Immersion Suit Examination.
10/2021: New Lloyd’s Register requirements for NDE acceptance criteria, and inclusion of Advanced NDE Methods.
09/2021: Amendments of MARPOL Annex VI – EEXI and Operational Carbon Intensity Reduction.
08/2021: PSC Campaign and Precaution for navigating Chinese heavy traffic waterway in Shanghai.
07/2021: Improvements to LR's Enhanced Survey Programme services.
06/2021: Alert: IMO DCS and EU MRV - Deadline approaching for annual submission of fuel oil consumption data.
05/2021: Statutory Alert: SOPEP – list of national contacts.
04/2021: Ship Recycling - UK exit from the EU and the requirements for final survey and recycling facilities.
03/2021: Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia Flagged Vessels - IHM Requirements for Vessels calling into the EU or United Kingdom.
02/2021: Safety notice issued: Tecnicomar ECOMAR Sewage Treatment Plants.
- 25/2020: Ship Recycling – UK exit from the EU and the requirements for IHM certification onboard ships.
- 24/2020: Brexit and MRV – The change of status of the UK in the monitoring and verification of CO2 emissions from maritime transport in the EU.
- 23/2020: New Lloyd’s Register requirements for Brittle Crack Arrest steels, and EH47 grade steel.
- 22/2020: Cyber security management.
- 21/2020: Ship Recycling: The enforcement of the EU Ship Recycling Regulation relating to the IHM in European waters.
- 20/2020: Panama Flagged Vessels – Inventory of Hazardous Materials for ships calling at EU ports.
- 19/2020: Urgent survey requests outside of normal business hours.
- 18/2020: Maritime Labour Convention 2006: Amendments 2018.
- 17/2020: Statutory alert: Use of MARPOL Electronic Record Books.
- 16/2020: Approval of Service Suppliers for Commissioning Testing of Ballast Water Management Systems.
- 15/2020: LR start the rollout of IMO Compliant Electronic Certificates.
- 14/2020: Withdrawal of Inmarsat Fleet 77 Services on 1 December 2020.
- 13/2020: Guidance for flag States regarding surveys and renewals of certificates during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 12/2020: New Lloyd’s Register requirements for Non-Destructive Testing Suppliers.
- 11/2020: South Korea - Designation of SOx Emission Control Areas (SECA) and Speed Reduction Program.
- 10/2020: Application of Ballast Water Treatment Systems performance standards.
- 09/2020: Updated temporary guidance: Port State Control and the impact of COVID-19.
- 08/2020: Statutory Alert: Amendments to the IBC code – replacement of existing certificates.
- 07/2020: Statutory Alert: Amendments to MARPOL Annex II - P&A Manual amendments.
- 06/2020: Temporary guidance: Port State Control and the impact of COVID-19.
- 05/2020: Inventory of Hazardous Materials – EU SRR compliance.
- 04/2020: Alert: IMO DCS and EU MRV - Deadline approaching for annual submission of fuel oil consumption data.
- 03/2020: Guidance: Survey activity during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- 02/2020: Safety notice issued: GEPA freefall lifeboat release systems.
- 01/2020: Update to new requirements for service suppliers in China.
- 22/2019:Reminder of 2020 MARPOL requirements for ozone depleting substances (HCFCs).
- 21/2019: Amendments (05-19) to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code.
- 20/2019: Carriage of vehicles in non-ro-ro cargo holds.
- 19/2019: Mitigating lithium battery system fires.
- 18/2019: Annual testing of voyage data recorders.
- 17/2019: LR complies with IMO Guidelines for newly issued and re-issued certificates for Panama flag Administration.
- 16/2019: New requirements for servicing and maintenance of life saving appliances.
- 15/2019: New requirements for service suppliers in China.
- 14/2019: Safety notice issued: Dräger Saver CF type Emergency Escape Breathing Devices.
- 13/2019: Concentrated inspection campaigns by regional MOUs.
- 12/2019: Statutory alert: Reminder - new SOLAS requirements for damage control drills on board passenger ships
- 11/2019: USCG Safety Notice Issued for ‘BilgMon 488’ Bilge Alarm
- 10/2019: Concentrated Inspection Campaign by Paris MoU and Tokyo MoU
- 09/2019: Safety notices issued for Jiaxing Rongsheng RSF-I immersion suits
- 08/2019: New IMO guidelines on implementation of sulphur 2020 / 中英对照版
- 07/2019: New guidance relating to the Ballast Water Management Convention
- 06/2019: Fuel Oil Consumption Data at Change of Flag or Company
- 05/2019: Discharge of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) bleed-off water
- 04/2019: Changes to time signals in Global Positioning System
- 03/2019: Submitting emissions data for the EU MRV regulation
- 02/2019: Preparation for 1 January 2020 - low sulphur fuel requirement
- 01/2019: China Regulation on Data Collection for Energy Consumption of Ships
- 29/2018: Safety alert regarding vessels with arrangements for entry to cargo holds via confined spaces
- 28/2018: Concentrated Survey Campaign – Shipboard Deficiencies
- 27/2018: EU Ship Recycling Regulation - publication of new list of approved facilities and a reminder of upcoming compliance dates
- 26/2018: Classification alert: New category introduced for Service Suppliers to be approved for Close-up Surveys using Remote Inspection Techniques
- 25/2018: Statutory alert: IMO DCS compliance- have you submitted your SEEMP Part II yet?
- 24/2018: Statutory alert: Escape Routes and Safety Equipment Location Markings Requirements
- 23/2018: Statutory alert: Amendments to the Performance Standards for Enhanced Group Call (ECG) Equipment and NAVTEX Equipment
- 22/2018: Requests to deal with certain survey requirements without Surveyor attendance on board
- 21/2018: Statutory alert: Inventory of Hazardous Materials - Early compliance with EU Ship Recycling Regulation
- 20/2018: Statutory alert: Amendment 39-18 to the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code
- 19/2018: Statutory alert: China flag vessels imported after 1 September 2018. Diesel Engine NOx Tier I to Tier II Upgrade Certification Requirements
- 18/2018: Statutory alert: Amendment of reference line of the required EEDI for ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships from phase 2
- 17/2018: Statutory alert: 2016 amendments to the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006, as amended
- 16/2018: Statutory alert: Concentrated inspection campaign by Paris MOU and Tokyo MOU
- 15/2018: Statutory alert: Amendments to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue (IAMSAR) Manual
- 14/2018: Statutory alert: Revised IACS Unified Requirements for Loading Computer Stability Software
- 13/2018: Statutory alert: Classification alert: Anchoring, Mooring and Towing (IACS UR A1, A2 & Rec 10)
- 12/2018: Statutory alert: Code for the Transport and Handling of Hazardous and Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk on Offshore Support Vessels (OSV Chemical Code) IMO Res. A.1122(30).
- 11/2018: Statutory alert: New Regulation 2018/773 indicating design, construction and performance requirements and testing standards for equipment subject to the Marine Equipment Directive
- 10/2018: Statutory alert: New guidance relating to the BWM Convention
- 09/2018: Statutory alert: Ballast Water Management (BWM) contingency measures
- 08/2018: Statutory alert: The 2020 IMO global sulphur limit
- 07/2018: Statutory alert: Procedures for Port State Control, 2017
- 06/2018 IMO GHG Strategy – What does it mean?
- 05/2018 Statutory alert: Amendments to MARPOL Annex V – Garbage Requirements
- 04/2018 Statutory alert: Cosmo Co. Ltd – Fire door safety notice update
- 03/2018 Statutory alert: Kidde Fire Protection – Recall of HFC227/Novec 1230 fire extinguishing system chemical agent gas cylinder valves
- 02/2018 Statutory alert:Baltic Sea and North Sea NOx Emission Control Areas
- 01/2018 Statutory alert: New intact stability criteria for ships engaged in towing, lifting and anchor handling operations
- 41/2017: Statutory alert: Amendments (04-17) to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code
- 40/2017: Statutory alert: New SOLAS requirements for damage control drills on board passenger ships
- 39/2017: Statutory alert: Bahamas flag - Early implementation of SOLAS Reg. II-2/1 & 10 amendments
- 38/2017: Statutory alert: Early implementation of new IMO requirements
- 37/2017: Statutory alert: Carriage of ammonium nitrate based fertilizer (non-hazardous)
- 36/2017: Statutory alert: Marioff HI-FOG 1900 Sprinkler - safety notice
- 35/2017: Statutory alert: Update on the carriage of bauxite – warning about possible dangers of liquefaction
- 34/2017: Classification alert: Harmonic distortion for ship electrical distribution systems, including harmonic filters
- 33/2017: Statutory alert: Update - IMO fuel oil consumption data collection
- 32/2017: Statutory alert: Implementation of a new procedure relating to the simulated launching of free-fall lifeboats during drills, as required by SOLAS regulation III/22.214.171.124.
- 31/2017: Statutory alert:New California biofouling regulations
- 30/2017: Statutory alert: Guidance on completing the Certificate of Fitness on tankers
- 29/2017: Statutory alert: 2016 amendments to the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
- 28/2017: Statutory alert: EMSA launches a monitoring, reporting and verification system to report CO2 emissions from ships
- 27/2017: Statutory alert: Ballast Water Management Convention to enter into force on 8 September 2017
- 26/2017: Statutory alert: Cosmo Co. Ltd – Fire door safety notice
- 25/2017: Statutory alert: Concentrated inspection campaigns on safety of navigation to run simultaneously with that of Paris MOU and Tokyo MOU
- 24/2017: Statutory alert: Concentrated inspection campaign on crew familiarisation for enclosed space entry
- 23/2017: Statutory alert: Amendments to Regulation 13 of MARPOL Annex VI – Record requirements for operational compliance with NOx Tier III emission control areas
- 22/2017: Statutory alert: Joint concentrated inspection campaign on safety of navigation
- 21/2017: Statutory alert: Guidelines for onboard sampling for the verification of the sulphur content of the fuel oil used on board ships
- 20/2017: Statutory alert: Brazil announces new inspection requirements for bulk carriers
- 19/2017: Classification alert: Thickness Measurement (TM) approval procedure
- 18/2017: Statutory alert: Reminder – USCG Ballast Water Treatment System Requirements
- 17/2017: Statutory alert: Amendments to the 2014 Guidelines on the method of calculation of the attained energy efficiency design index (EEDI) for new ships, which concern the calculation method for the EEDI
- 16/2017: Statutory alert: IMO Ballast Water Management (BWM) Convention – New Implementation Dates Agreed for Installation of Ballast Water Treatment Systems
- 15/2017: Statutory alert: Guidance to support EU MRV regulation compliance
- 14/2017: Statutory alert: Singapore flag administration: Application of the Ballast Water Management (BWM) Convention 2004 requirements
- 13/2017: Statutory alert: Interim recommendations on the safe carriage of more than 12 Industrial Personnel on board vessels engaged on international voyages
- 12/2017: Statutory alert: Port state control – special inspection campaign in China
- 11/2017: Statutory alert: New unified interpretations on downflooding points
- 10/2017: Statutory alert: Surveys of St. Vincent and the Grenadines vessels following Port State detentions
- 09/2017: Statutory alert: Product recall of Hwayan Emergency Escape Breathing Devices (EEBDs) TH15B
- 08/2017: Statutory alert: Liberia Flag Administration – Application of the Ballast Water Management (BWM) Convention 2004 requirements
- 07/2017: Statutory alert: ECDIS updates required for the new IHO Standards
- 06/2017: Statutory alert: MARPOL Annex IV – Passenger ship sewage discharge and treatment requirements for the Baltic Sea Special Area, new implementation dates
- 05/2017: Offshore Statutory Alert :Understanding the application of the Ballast Water Management (BWM) Convention to fixed installations and mobile units
- 04/2017: Statutory Alert:New EU Implementing Regulation 2017/306 indicating design, construction and performance requirements and testing standards for equipment subject to the Marine Equipment Directive (MED)
- 03/2017: Statutory Alert:LRQA achieves ISO 14065 accreditation to globally deliver services for the assessment of monitoring plans and the verification of emissions reports under the EU Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) Regulation
- 02/2017: Statutory Alert: Panama flag administration – Application of the Ballast Water Management (BWM) Convention, 2004, requirements
- 01/2017: Statutory Alert: Update – IMO fuel oil consumption data collection system
- 46/2016: Statutory Alert: Financial security – 2014 amendments to the MLC 2006
- 45/2016: Statutory Alert: Entry into force of the Polar Code
- 44/2016: Statutory Alert: Suitable means for the calibration of portable atmosphere testing instruments as referred to in SOLAS regulation XI-1/7
- 43/2016: Statutory Alert: Inclusion of mediums of fire-fighting systems in lightweight and lightship condition
- 42/2016: Statutory Alert: Publication of EU MRV delegated and implementing regulations, including templates for monitoring plans, emission reports and documents of compliance
- 41/2016: Statutory Alert: Revised guidelines on evacuation analysis for new and existing passenger ships
- 40/2016: Statutory Alert: Clarification of requirements regarding Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) high frequency narrow-band direct printing
- 39/2016: Statutory Alert: Equipment servicing – a reminder of the requirements for servicing, testing and calibrating equipment
- 38/2016: Statutory Alert: Hong Kong-flagged vessels – Anti-fouling system (AFS) certification changes
- 37/2016: Statutory Alert: Amendment 38-16 to the IMDG Code
- 36/2016: Statutory Alert: Chemical tankers that carry products requiring oxygen-dependent inhibitors
- 35/2016: Classification Alert: New version of Argonaut software for thickness measurement reporting
- 34/2016: Statutory Alert: IMO fuel oil consumption data collection system
- 33/2016: Statutory Alert: Inspections of cargo securing arrangements
- 32/2016: Statutory Alert: Production defect on Hyundai Lifeboats ‘TALON II 4.0’ on-load release mechanism assembly
- 31/2016: Statutory Alert: New EU Marine Equipment Directive
- 30/2016: Statutory Alert: REISSUE: Ballast Water Management Convention to enter into force on 8 September 2017
- 29/2016: Statutory Alert: Revised MARPOL requirements for oil residue (sludge) piping arrangements
- 28/2016: Statutory Alert: REISSUE: Amendments to MLC, 2006 on financial security – entry into force
- 27/2016: Statutory Alert: Caribbean MOU concentrated inspection campaign on crew familiarisation with enclosed space entry
- 26/2016: Statutory Alert: Riyadh MOU concentrated inspection campaign on pilot transfer arrangements
- 25/2016: Statutory Alert: Paris MOU concentrated inspection campaign on the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
- 24/2016: Statutory Alert: Simultaneous concentrated inspection campaigns on cargo securing arrangements in Tokyo, Black Sea and Indian Ocean MOU regions
- 23/2016: Statutory Alert: EU Monitoring, Reporting and Verification regulation – industry consultation on delegated and implementing acts – air quality control systems
- 22/2016: Statutory Alert: Ventilation systems in ro-ro cargo spaces – air quality control systems
- 21/2016: Statutory Alert: Change of practice for HME cargoes and guidance for port reception facility providers and users
- 20/2016: Statutory Alert: REISSUE: Revised guidelines for maintenance and inspection of automatic sprinkler systems
- 19/2016: Classification Alert: Suggested locations for carrying out In-Water Surveys
- 18/2016: Statutory Alert: IACS Recommendation for the Operation of Shore-Based Emergency Response Services
- 17/2016: Statutory Alert: Secondary means of venting on tankers – SOLAS amendments
- 16/2016: Australian national ballast water management requirements – new Biosecurity Act, treatment methods and reporting requirements
- 15/2016: Statutory Alert: Icing considerations for cargo ships carrying timber deck cargoes – new formula for calculating ice accretion weight added to Intact Stability Code
- 14/2016: Statutory Alert: ECDIS compliance – extension of transitional period for International Hydrographic Office (IHO) Standards S-52 and S-64
- 13/2016: Statutory Alert: Carriage of bauxite – warning about possible dangers of liquefaction
- 12/2016: Statutory Alert: GMDSS – new channelling arrangements for high frequency narrow-band direct printing
- 11/2016: Statutory Alert: Maintenance and survey of steel wire ropes on life-saving appliance slings – issues associated with plastic sheathing
- 10/2016: Statutory Alert: MARPOL Annex VI, Regulation 13 – clarification on NOx certification for dual fuel and gas-fuelled engines
- 09/2016: Statutory Alert: MARPOL Annex VI – additional NOx Technical Code certification requirements and changes to the IAPP Record of Construction and Equipment
- 08/2016: Statutory Alert: Guidelines on verification of ECA emission control measures issued by China Maritime Safety Administration
- 07/2016: Statutory Alert: Revised guidelines for onboard operational use of ship automatic identification systems (AIS)
- 06/2016: Statutory Alert: China to implement first emission control measures in Yangtze River Delta ECA from 1 April, 2016
- 05/2016: Statutory Alert: New SOLAS requirements for carriage of portable atmosphere testing equipment for enclosed space entry
- 04/2016: Statutory Alert: Voluntary global recall of Kannad Marine SAFELINK auto and manual EPIRBs
- 03/2016: Statutory Alert: Status of the Ballast Water Management Convention – criteria for entry into force not yet reached
- 02/2016: Statutory Alert: Amendments (03-15) to the IMSBC Code
- 01/2016: Statutory Alert: Publication of revised standards for electronic chart display and information systems (ECDIS)