Project by leading maritime companies and research facilities to develop simulation and modelling tools designed to minimize time and cost of ship design and production.
SHIPLYS is a new research project which brings together a team of 12 leading maritime companies and research facilities, from 7 countries, joined in the development of simulation and modelling tools designed to minimize time and cost involved in ship design and production. The idea behind the project is to develop and integrate rapid virtual prototyping tools with life cycle tools that will be compatible with existing early design software. This complex and ambitious project is funded by the European Commission under Horizon 2020 – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (20142020) planned for a period of 36 months starting from September 2016. The overall budget for this collaborative project is €6.14M with a maximum European Grant of €6.14M.
The project will create a customised and single package simulation and analysis tool, integrating Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA), environmental and risk assessments, product and process lifecycle management (PLM) and Virtual Products tools. In addition, it will demonstrate the capabilities of the tool on three representative Scenarios and will share knowledge amongst all stakeholders. The main objective of the project is to improve the competitiveness of European shipyards by supporting SME naval architects, shipbuilders and shipowners through:
- improving their capability to reduce the time and costs of design and production
- meeting the increasing requirements for LCCA (Life Cycle Cost Analysis), environmental assessments, risk assessments and endoflife considerations as differentiators
- developing the ability to reliably produce better ship concepts through virtual prototyping
- WP1: Ethics requirements
- WP2: Stakeholder Scenarios
- WP3: Specify requirements for integration of rapid virtual prototyping and life cycle tools
- WP4: Data quality assessment and database development
- WP5: Develop models for LCCA, environmental assessment, risk assessment and multicriteria decision making
- WP6: Implement rapid virtual design and production process prototyping generators
- WP7: Integration and optimisation of the rapid virtual prototyping modules and SHIPLYS life cycle tools and their adaption for the development of generic models
- WP8: Test, demonstration, verification and development of good practice guidelines
- WP9: Dissemination, business plan and exploitation, and software training