Nautilus (Nautical Integrated Hybrid Energy System for Long-haul Cruise Ships).
With the International Maritime Organization (IMO) regulations coming in force, marine transport needs new energy solutions for emissions reduction. Passenger ships are the most affected as they have growing pressure from their customers and habitants near ports for a clean environment. To address these challenges, this Nautilus project aims at developing, evaluating and validating a highly efficient and dynamic integrated marine energy system fuelled by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) for long-haul passenger ships, and targeted to reach the 2030 GHGs emission targets of the IMO directive and to achieve virtually no measurable SOx, NOx and PM2.5.
The Nautilus consortium consists of 15 partners with an overall budget of €7.89M over 4 years with 100% grant from EU.
Develop, evaluate and validate an integrated marine energy system, with the core consisting of a highly efficient Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC) coupled with a battery, referred to as a genset, using LNG as fuel is proposed for passenger ships.
To be achieved by:
Virtual Process Design Concept of On-Board Energy System
Physical Proof of Concept and Genset Demonstrator
WP1. Project management & coordination [DLR]
WP2. Requirement analysis [MAN]
WP3. Genset system engineering & proof of concept [DLR]
WP4. Ship integration [MW]
WP5. Control strategy and grid connection [RWTH]
WP6. Functional demonstrator [MAN]
WP7. Technology impact analysis [TUD]
WP8. Outreach, dissemination & exploitation [GG]
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft –und Raumfahrt (DLR) DE
- Chantiers de l'Atlantique (CdA) FR
- Carnival Maritime GmbH (CM) DE
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) CH
- GRANT Garant (GG) CZ
- Lloyd's Register EMEA (LR) UK/DE
- MAN Energy Solutions (MAN) DE
- Meyer Werft PAPENBURG (MW) DE
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL) UK
- Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen (RWTH) DE
- SOLIDPower SPA (SP_SPA)* IT
- Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) NL
- Lunds Universitet (ULUND) SE
- Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT (VTT) FI
- SOLIDPower SA (SP_SA) CH
(SOLIDPower SA is fully owned by SOLIDPower SPA)