sustainable HYdrogen powered Shipping.
sHYpS project with an overall budget of 16.10 M€ over 4 years aims at supporting the decarbonisation of the shipping industry, by leveraging on previous and on-going work and investment made by Viking and some consortium members. It will develop a hydrogen-based solution, which can be adapted to multiple types of vessels and in some cases can already achieve IMO's target for 2030 and 2050 as highlighted below:
- novel hydrogen storage intermodal 40' ISO c-type container,
- detailed design of modular containerised powertrain based on optimised PEM Fuel Cells and their dedicated logistics.
To achieve this target, the sHYpS project will address 8 Specific Objectives:
- Design, building and testing a prototype of an intermodal ISO 40 LH2 container and of its evaporator
- Detailed design of a 6MW PEM fuel cell powertrain for optimized operation reaching 55% peak efficiency
- Integrate the LH2 storage system, the fuel handling system and the electric connection to the ship backbone, onboard one Viking’s newbuild cruise ship registered under Norwegian flag by 2024/2025.
- Complete testing at components level to get Lloyd’s review, and test the full system onboard “ready-to-burn” with a reduced 400 kW Fuel Cell module at the shipyard and during the shakedown cruise
- Demonstrate that an LH2 container supply chain is viable in the short-term without the bottleneck of bunkering facilities.
- Demonstrate the scalability of the LH2 system and its logistics
- Develop a solution which is fully adaptable to many kinds of ships with a conceptual design for 5,000 DWT and 8,000 DWT / 700 TEU cargo and containers vessels
- Increase knowledge and expertise on hydrogen-as-a-fuel pertinent rules for marine application
- NAVALPROGETTI, Italy (NAV)
- VIKING Hydrogen, Norway (VIKH)
- CHART FEROX, Italy (CHART)
- FEROX (FEROX))
- CENERGY, Italy (CEN)
- Uty of Trieste, Italy (UNITS)
- PLUG, France (PLP)
- JEUMONT, France (JEU)
- Port of BERGEN, Norway (PoB)
- Kontor17, Germany (K17)
- PNO, Italy (PNO)
- RICARDO, Czechia (RICCZ)
sHYpS Associated Partners
- Lloyd's Register, UK (LLOYDS)
- RICARDO, UK (RICUK)