The FLARE consortium comprises key stakeholders from industry, academia and policymakers, involved in ship flooding risk research as a Group for over twenty years (HARDER, SAFEDOR, GOALDS, EMSA III, eSafe), the latter three focussing on passenger ships. This offers a unique knowledge base and capability to support targeted new developments and expedite implementation. The overall budget for this collaborative project is €9.37M with a maximum European Grant of €9.37M.
Develop a Risk-Based methodology for 'live' flooding risk assessment and and containment in line with IMO high level goals.
To be achieved by:
- Creating an updated accident database for passenger ships and damages. Using this with support from suitably verified flooding simulation tools to develop a generic risk model for flooding incidents, accounting for collision and grounding with focus on cost-effective risk containment in emergencies.
- Ensuring the risk model is generic (all incidents in one model), holistic (active and passive measures) with potential application to newbuildings and existing ships.
- A risk-aware approach post-flooding incidents from susceptibility to flooding to emergency response, including mustering and abandonment in extreme flooding scenarios.
- Innovative technical solutions at TRL5 in ship concepts and equipment targeting risk containment, including: crashworthiness; minimising the risk from WT doors; use of highly expandable foam post-incident; decision support for crisis management.
- Developing a proposal for the revision of relevant IMO regulations towards a risk-based approach to contain and control risk in passenger ships from flooding incidents.
- WP1 Project Management (BAL)
- WP2 Initial Data Collection, Collation, Analysis and Management (MW)
- WP3 Damage Accident Modelling beyond current statistics (AALTO)
- WP4 Numerical Simulations and Verification (MARIN)
- WP5 Flooding Risk Model (MSRC)
- WP6 Mitigation of Flood Risk (NAPA)
- WP7 Risk-Based Design Demonstrators (FC)
- WP8 IMO recommendations for a risk based regulatory framework (DNVGL)
- WP9 Dissemination and Exploitation (SEAE)
- WP10 Ethics requirements (BAL)
- Lloyd's Register, United Kingdom
- Bureau Veritas (BV), France
- DnV GL As (DNVGL), Norway
- Rina Services Spa (RINA), Genova
- Balance Technology Consulting Gmbh (BAL), Germany
- Brookes Bell LLP (BROO), United Kingdom
- Carnival Plc (CAR), United Kingdom
- Color Line Marine AS (COL), Norway
- Fincantieri Spa (FC), Italy
- Hamburgische Schiffbau-Versuchsanstalt Gmbh (HSVA), Germany,
- Association de Gestion de L'institut Catholique d Arts Et Metiers De Nantes (LCAM), France
- Maritiem Research Instituut Nederland (MARIN), Netherlands
- Meyer Werft Papenburg Gmbh & Co Kg (MW), Germany
- Meyer Turku OY (MT), Finland
- Napa OY (NAPA), Finland
- Shipyards and Maritime Equipment Association of Europe (SEAE), Belgium,
- Chantiers De L'Atlantique (CDA), France
- Rcl Cruises Ltd (RCCL), United Kingdom
- Stena Rederi AB (STENA), Sweden
Universities, Research and Technology Centres:
- University of Strathclyde (MSRC), Glasgow
- Aalto Korkeakoulusaatio SR (AALTO), Finland