Applicability: All shipowners and managers
The standards for ECDIS have been revised by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and published as IEC 61174:2015: Maritime Navigation and Radiocommunication Equipment and Systems – Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) – Operational and Performance Requirements, Methods of Testing and Required Test Results.
Compliance with International Hydrographic Office (IHO) standards
Note that IEC 61174:2015 makes reference to the latest versions of the IHO standards:
- S-52 – Specifications for Chart Content and Display Aspects of ECDIS (including its Annex A – the Presentation Library for ECDIS); and
- S-64 – Test Data Sets for ECDIS.
Shipowners and managers are reminded to ensure their ECDIS arrangements comply with these standards (refer to IMO circular, SN.1/Circ.266/Rev.1, dated December 2010). There will be a transitional period during which the previous editions of S-52 and S-64 will remain valid. This period will end on 31 July, 2016.
Other changes to IEC 61174:2015
The new standard also includes the following changes:
- Requirements have been added for display of radar and AIS information; new interface requirements have been added for BNWAS, VDR, BAM, MSI, INS and route transfer.
- A requirement for an anchor watch has been added.
- Additional test methods are specified for operation of ECDIS beyond the normal range between 85 degrees South latitude and 85 degrees North latitude.
For further information
Speak to one of our experts at your local Lloyd's Register Group office.
Or contact us via: