Decarbonising the existing fleet is vital in the maritime industry's quest to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Without substantial progress in this area, as many as 20,000 merchant vessels could still rely on fossil fuels by 2050, jeopardising the industry's path towards achieving net-zero emissions.
This inaugural publication aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the state of technology, compliance frameworks, systems integration capabilities, and the business case for retrofitting vessels. The report uses methanol and ammonia as examples to analyse the industry's readiness for adopting alternative fuels.
This report includes expert analysis on:
- Fleet and technology readiness
- Regulatory drivers
- Alternative fuel readiness
- Technology and compliance considerations
- Current engine retrofit technologies
- Fuel system integration
- Retrofit capacity and capability
- Training and human factors
- Investment case and economic viability