This service is now provided by Lloyd's Register Marine Deutschland GmbH (LRMD), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lloyd’s Register Marine Limited in London, registered in Hamburg under HRB 169644. Its function is to hold Authorizations, notifications and accreditations and specify the working methods and processes to be followed for local delivery of related services and schemes in conjunction with the operating businesses.
LRMD is the legal successor for MED Services of Lloyd’s Register Deutschland GmbH (LRD) and all work from LRD will be taken over by LRMD. This means that all existing certificates remain valid under the current LRD Approval. New, amended or renewed Certificates will be issued under LRMD.
What is the Marine Equipment Directive (MED)?
The MED sets out performance and testing standards to be met by marine equipment placed on board an EU ship.
As of 18 September 2016 the only applicable MED is Directive 2014/90/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 July 2014 on marine equipment and repealing Council Directive 96/98/EC.
What does the directive cover?
The directive covers types of marine equipment that fall under following International Conventions developed by the International Maritime Organization (IMO):
- SOLAS 1974: Life-saving appliances/navigation equipment/radio equipment
- MARPOL 1973: Marine pollution
- COLREGS 1972: Prevention of collisions
Design, construction and performance requirements and testing standards for marine equipment is provided in the Annex to Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1170, which was published in the Official Journal of the European Union on the 12 August 2020 and is applicable as of 1 September 2020.
What we offer
All manufacturers producing equipment to comply with the MED require involvement of a Notified Body to assess products to the MED.
We offer certification for the EC Type Examination (Module B), Unit Verification (Module G), Product Verification (Module F) and the production-control phase (Modules D or E) of the following categories of equipment:
- Life-saving appliances
- Marine pollution prevention equipment
- Fire protection equipment
Our application process is quick and easy – to start the process please complete the application checklist, which should be submitted to the LR Local Office.
Find out more by about the process by downloading our guidelines here.
Find out more about the LR Type Approval procedures by downloading our LR TA 14 here.
Why choose LR?
1. LR has a long experience working with the MED, as it has been one of the very first Notified Bodies appointed under the original Marine Equipment Directive (96/98/EC), which came into force almost 20 years ago.
2. We provide one-stop-shop service starting from the initial enquiry to the issue of the certificate(s).
3. Our surveyors help you through each stage of the certification process. This includes:
- reviewing a technical construction file
- assessing a quality control system
- product sample inspection and testing
4. Products certified by LR as meeting requirements of Marine Equipment Directive 2014/90/EU will be accepted by all European and most non-European flag states.
5. Our global resources can ensure local country auditors who understand your business sector and culture.
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Industry leaders join forces on ammonia-fuelled tanker project
A collaborative effort to work on producing a zero-carbon emitting deep-sea tanker, powered by ammonia.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.