At LR, we are committed to supporting safe and environmentally sound ship recycling.
We have in-depth knowledge of ship recycling legislation, standards and practices through our work at IMO, IACS and the International Ship Recycling Association (ISRA). We have represented IACS on Ship Recycling legislation at the IMO, and have made significant and ongoing contributions to the EU Regulation.
What we offer
Our bespoke advisory and certification services have been provided for many sensitive ship recycling projects. We work with shipowners/operators and ship recycling facilities:
For shipowners: our unique Audit During Recycling service helps to provide assurance that national and international standards are met, including the downstream handling of hazardous waste.
Furthermore, we can apply our expertise to support you with all aspects of the ICS Transitional Measures, including Final Survey in accordance with the Hong Kong Convention and EU Ship Recycling Regulation, Ship Recycling Plan approval and review of the Ship Recycling Facility Plan (SRFP), helping further promote your commitment to safe and environmentally sound ship recycling.
For ship recycling facilities: our comprehensive recycling facility assessment and certification services are available only to responsible recyclers, further improve standards globally. See list of our verified facilities.
Podcast - Driving change in ship recycling: Stakeholder perspectives.
Moderated by Lloyd’s List Managing Editor Richard Meade, the Sustainable Shipping Initiative, Ship Recycling Transparency Initiative and Lloyd’s Register bring together industry experts to look at how different maritime stakeholders approach and understand ship recycling.
What are the benefits?
We can help you follow best practice, attain independent assurance that agreed standards are upheld and regulatory requirements have been met, thereby minimising potential liabilities and adverse publicity at the end of your ship’s life.
Dozens of ‘beaching facilities’ have some form of certification, implying they meet acceptable standards – proof if ever it was needed that reputable accreditation and assurance is paramount. As part of our Ship Recycling services we want to help you stand out from the crowd and help you to give your clients full confidence that end of life ships are being recycled in compliance in a safe and environmentally sound manner.
Why choose LR?
With more than 15 years of experience working on recycling projects in China, Turkey, and India and a proven track record providing comprehensive SRFP, ISO 30000 assessments and certification, our ship recycling services are unrivalled and offer peace of mind to shipowners, operators, reputable recycling facilities and to their clients.
- Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships (2009 – SR/CONF/45)
- Guidelines for the Development of the Ship Recycling Plan (2011 - MEPC.196(62))
- Guidelines for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Ship Recycling (2012 - MEPC.210(63))
- Guidelines for the Authorisation of Ship Recycling Facilities (2012 - MEPC.211(63))
- Guidelines for the survey and certification of ships under the Hong Kong Convention (2012 - MEPC.222(64))
- Guidelines for the inspection of ships under the Hong Kong Convention (2012 - MEPC.223(64))
- Regulation (EU) No. 1257/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 November 2013 on Ship Recycling
- EC Technical guidance note: Requirements and procedure for inclusion of facilities located in third countries in the European List of ship recycling facilities
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Audit during recycling for the China Navigation Company
Recycling cargo ships responsibly. Assessment and audit to demonstrate best practice, limit liabilities and enhance reputation. Read our case study.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.