Applicability: Owners and operators of ships greater than 5,000 gt making commercial voyages into, out of or between EU ports
The European Commission has launched a public consultation on the supporting acts that will bring the EU Regulation on Monitoring, Reporting and Verification of CO2 Emissions from Ships (EU MRV)* into force. This consultation is an opportunity for industry to have a direct input to these acts, and to help ensure the final acts are based on effective and workable procedures.
Lloyd’s Register has been taking a leading role in the work of the industry forum that has supported the European Commission in developing the acts, and encourages all shipowners and operators who will be affected to review the consultation documents and register their views.
About the supporting acts
There are two types of act – delegated and implementing. These will address the requirements for shipowners/operators and verifiers, as follows.
The delegated acts will cover:
- verification activities and accreditation of verifiers
- amendments to Annex I of the regulation, including methods for monitoring CO2 emissions and the rules for monitoring other relevant information
The implementing acts will cover:
- the templates for the Monitoring Plan, Annual Emission Report and Document of Compliance
- determination of cargo carried for ships other than passenger, ro-ro and container ships.
Registering your views
To register your views on the two delegated acts, go to https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares20164000369_en and https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares20163985746_en
To register your views on the two implementing acts, go to https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares20163985800_en and https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares20163985775_en
All four links can also be found at https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives_en
You can register your views until 25 August, 2016, with the exception of the delegated act on verification, which is open until 26 August, 2016.
For more information on the EU MRV regulation and how you can prepare for it, please visit here and see Class News 08/2015
* Regulation (EU) 2015/757 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2015 on the monitoring, reporting and verification of carbon dioxide emissions from maritime transport, and amending Directive 2009/16/EC
For further information
Speak to one of our experts at your local Lloyd's Register Group office.