The EU Ship Recycling Regulation came into force on 31 December 2020 and effects any in-service ship of 500 GT or over calling at any EU* port or anchorage (regardless of flag). It requires that vessels hold a valid and certified Inventory Hazardous Materials (IHM) on board.
This also continues to apply under the UK Ship Recycling Regulation (UK SRR), following the UK’s exit from the EU.
IHM is a structured system to control hazardous materials onboard ships and achieve compliance with both (EU SRR) and the Hong Kong Convention (HKC) for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships.
Why is this important?
A comprehensively compiled IHM can help you minimise risk, potential liabilities, and enhance the safety of your ships’ crews by identifying, recording and controlling hazardous materials onboard your ships, in line with existing and forthcoming legislation.
As well as assisting with your in-house management systems, you can demonstrate your commitment to safe and environmentally sound practices at the end of your ship’s life.
Why choose LR?
Our well established IHM service offers reputable and consistent global service delivery, helping to promote better hazard management and sustainable ship recycling. Since 2004, thousands of ships spanning both new construction and in service have entrusted LR to provide inventory certification services.
What we offer
LR offers end-to-end IHM services to both LR and non-LR classed ships. We provide an intuitive and competitively priced approval, verification, and certification service to ensure compliance with EU and HK legislation – for both newbuilds and existing ships.
Access to LR approved Hazardous Material Expert companies:
We have a list of independently LR approved companies who can provide you with expert IHM compilation and hazardous materials sampling/testing services against legislative requirements. To date we have checked and approved the procedures and operations of around 40 Hazardous Material expert companies.
Need help searching the database? Take a look at our IHM approved service supplier database user guide.
An easily editable IHM template:
Our simple, tried and tested IHM template is carefully designed against legislative requirements and allows easy compilation and maintenance of the IHM.
LR experts every step of the way:
A specialist from our dedicated IHM Approval Teams then takes care of the desktop approval, and finally a surveyor local to the vessel undertakes onboard verification and certification.
We will issue a statutory certificate against EU SRR (for EU flagged ships) or Statement of Compliance (for non-EU flagged ships including the UK). We can also issue a Statement of Compliance against HKC at the same time for no additional charge.
* In the context of EU SRR this also includes European Economic Area members - Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
- Statement of Compliance - EU Recycling Regulations
- Letter to Port State Control
- Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships (2009 – SR/CONF/45)
- Guidelines for the Development of the Inventory of Hazardous Materials (2015 - MEPC.269(68))
- Guidelines for the survey and certification of ships under the Hong Kong Convention (2012 - MEPC.222(64))
- Regulation (EU) No. 1257/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 November 2013 on Ship Recycling
- Guidance on inspections of ships by the port States in accordance with Regulation (EU) 1257/2013 on ship recycling
- EMSA Guidance on IHM
- IHM requirements guide