Compliance with exhaust emissions requirements (SOX and NOX) can be achieved by a number of options: alternative fuels (including LNG), emissions abatement technologies or in-engine controls. Each option comes with different technical, operational and commercial considerations and with a different technology maturity level.
What we offer
We constantly invest in understanding the risks associated with each technology which leads into our Rule development process (LR has dedicated Rules and Notations for abatement technologies, LNG as a fuel and distillates with Rules for Methanol and Hydrogen in progress). Our experts are actively involved in the regulatory development process and participate at technical working groups and committees at IMO and EU level. Finally, we have obtained in-depth understanding of specific technologies through our Classification, Flag and Type Approval of different systems and options.
The complexity and novel nature of some of the options create commercial, technical and regulatory risk for ship owners/operators. If this risk is not managed, it can lead to increased operational costs, failed investment on a large scale or non-compliance (and costs). At the same time, this is a highly competitive market for technology providers and new technologies are often met with scepticism.
Why choose LR?
We can apply our expertise to address any challenge and manage the commercial, technical and regulatory risks. Our solutions include assessing the impact of a compliance strategy, shortlisting options, validating an investment decision, advising on contracts and specifications, conducting a HAZID/HAZOP on a particular technology you are implementing or helping you measure and interpret emissions data. We can also help technology providers overcome the market barriers by validating the performance of their solution.
- Your options for emissions compliance. Guidance for shipowners and operators on the Annex VI SOx and NOx regulations.
- Using hybrid fuels for ECA-SOx compliance This guidance details the available specifications of all such hybrid fuels and details any associated risks in order to assist you in choosing the best option for your vessels.
- ECA calculator Our ECA Calculator allows you to test different Emission Control Area compliance scenarios to find the best solution for you.
- ECA Calculator user guidance Guidance on how to use our ECA Calculator.
- Low Sulphur Fuel Oil Change Over Calculator (New version with extra features) This tool provides an estimate of the time required to dilute and flush through HSFO to meet the legislative sulphur limits required for operating in a SOx Limited Zone (SLZ), such as a SOx Emission Control Area (SECA), EU Directive 2005/33/EC or CARB.
Who we work with
We help businesses across dozens of sectors push forward and achieve like never before. How can we help you?
Industry leaders join forces on ammonia-fuelled tanker project
A collaborative effort to work on producing a zero-carbon emitting deep-sea tanker, powered by ammonia.
What we think
LR's experts regularly share their research and insights.